Friday, June 6, 2008

Pajama Pasta

If someone were to ask me how I would define this year (I expect it to happen any day now, sure), I would have to say it's the Year I Liked Cooked Greens. I've always preferred my veggies raw (except corn), when I was little my mommy used to call me a bunny rabbit because she'd find me in the fridge eating leaves of lettuce like chips and tomatoes like they were apples. She was okay with the lettuce but she got a little pissed about me eating up all her tomatoes. Cooked veggies though, greens specifically, have always presented a problem, I just couldn't deal with them. I would put spinach in my bowl at the Mongolian grill but then I'd just cover it in peanut sauce so I don't think that counts. That's all turned around this year though, thank goodness! It started, I believe, with the sauteed spinach and mushrooms and seitan dish from V-Con and then really took off with Johanna's White Beans and Kale from Yellow Rose Recipes. And now it has led to this, a recipe I made up myself involving greens. Gasp.

I made this up last weekend when I was having what I like to call a Pajama Day, I had nothing to do, so I just stayed in my pajamas, attractive as all get out, until it was time to take a shower and put on new pajamas and go to sleep. It was wonderful, and on such a lazy day, I don't like to cook too intensively, so this is perfect. The spinach and the pasta go into their respective cooking vessels at the same time, and less than 5 minutes later you've got foody bits. Unfortunately, my camera is being a butt-head again, so no picture. But if you can close your eyes and imagine pasta, and then you imagine cooked spinach, then I would not be showing you anything that spectacular anyway.

Pajama Pasta (enough for 1 lazy person like myself)
Angel hair pasta for one
1/2 bunch or so spinach leaves, rinsed and spun
1 shallot, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Salt your water and start it heating in a big pot. In a pan over medium, heat a little olive oil and add the shallot and garlic, cooking until the shallot is starting to brown. If you're stove is behaving, the water should be just about boiling. Add the spinach to the pan and toss it around, at the same time add your pasta to the pot. Keep stirring the spinach around until it's nice and wilted. (Sidenote, last night I made this and I added in a splash of white wine when I added the spinach, it tasted okay but I think I prefer it without.) The pasta should be done. Remove the spinach pan from the stove and drain the pasta (if it's done, of course). Stir everything together, season with salt and pepper to your liking, and stuff it in your face.

1 comment:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Oh, I LOVE pajama days... and cooked greens. Kinda partial to kale. Fun post to read! :)